Support for portrait layout, please.

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Support for portrait layout, please.

Post#1 » 26 Nov 2017, 22:47

I've started playing Gladiabots on my laptop in multi-screen. It helps for capturing stats to validate if an AI tweak led to a faster finish time or more resources collected. I'm a weirdo :mrgreen: that has one screen in portrait, which is quite handy for viewing way more code in an editor, or viewing long web pages, like a forum or facebook.

I was a little surprised how Gladiabots reacts to portrait mode...

Very vertically distorted.

I'd like to request that the game handle portrait mode more naturally, not distorted (laptop/desktop/mobile). The first picture shows that you can play the game and show the AI viewer as two stacked landscape views. This would be my preference for playing on a tablet too. My developer brain :geek: says that should have very little affect on UI and my user brain :ugeek: says that would be a huge win for UX.

Thanks!
"If it acts like it's not running your code, it's probably not running your code." -- me, I say this all the GD time!

Revenge
Neural Network
Neural Network

Re: Support for portrait layout, please.

Post#2 » 27 Nov 2017, 02:48

Interesting...

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#3 » 27 Nov 2017, 06:59

Weird...
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#4 » 28 Nov 2017, 12:38

Works pretty fine actually: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9J2LHC45SwO1dO012
Check your resolution settings in the launcher, be sure to select the correct display.

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#5 » 28 Nov 2017, 15:21

I enabled portrait mode on Android in Alpha 11 (RC4+) for testing.
Not fully supported though, some UI parts are still overflowing.

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#6 » 29 Nov 2017, 07:24

GFX47 wrote:Works pretty fine actually: https://photos.app.goo.gl/9J2LHC45SwO1dO012
Check your resolution settings in the launcher, be sure to select the correct display.

I think I see where the distortion is coming from. The launcher with Gladiabots Configuration shows a drop down for display, "Acer ..." is my portrait screen, but the resolutions are still landscape, and the highest resolution is 1024x768, which is not the native resolution, it should be 1680x1050 (landscape), but really should show 1050x1680 (portrait).

So I think it's squeezing the width and stretching the height to render 1024x768 on 1050x1680.

When I left it 1024x768, but set it to windowed, it renders fine, but only takes up half the screen.

So I believe the real problem is, on my Linux (Mint 17), the game's resolution detection isn't picking up that my second screen is portrait, and is also not getting the native resolution.

If it helps, my graphics card is an NVidia GeForce GTX 870M.
"If it acts like it's not running your code, it's probably not running your code." -- me, I say this all the GD time!

GFX47
Dev Team

Post#7 » 29 Nov 2017, 07:38

The launcher is a unity thing I can't modify.
I'll see if it's a known issue but my guess is it's a problem with your OS.

drartimus
Algorithm
Algorithm

Post#8 » 30 Nov 2017, 07:47

GFX47 wrote:The launcher is a unity thing I can't modify.
I'll see if it's a known issue but my guess is it's a problem with your OS.

I took a shot at Googling my issue. I didn't find anything specific on Unity's site, but I did find an article (kind of old, 2015) that did list some compatibility issues, specifically Unity's engine on Linux, multiple screens, and resolutions. I'm guessing that Linux gamers just don't get much priority for bug fixes.

<sad>Art</sad>

P.S. Googling for Unity and Linux sucks. You just get Ubuntu Unity UI bullcrap.

Return to “Requests”