Note about tournaments that require players proactivity managed by me

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Note about tournaments that require players proactivity managed by me

Post#1 » 23 Sep 2017, 10:18

I have a bit of experience from other games in organizing tournaments, and I know that I have to keep them tight otherwise they either are endless or make little sense (a tournament last a month for 10-20 matches in total is not that meaningful).

Nevertheless I do not have a positive feedback from the ones organized for gladiabots so far. People are either uninterested (not playing/not reporting results), or problems in real life prevents them playing (that is totally normal), or people think it can be managed better (that depends on the experience of the ones making the remark) or people are annoyed by the format (that's legit too, although I organize only some formats). In short, as youtube and reddit likes shows, it very unlikely to make everyone happy. I know this, but it is also frustrating always to explain/keep some choices.

Managing a tournament is not a democratic activity (that is, your objection may not count). Some people fail to recognize this.

So since it is a drain on my nerves to manage them. I won't organize any more tournaments for some time (can be 2 weeks, can be 2 years).

Of course I hope someone else will do them.

Instead I hope to use the save of time and nerves to fix the unavoidable tournaments. Those are easier to manage when the code works.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

LuBeNo
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Re: Note about tournaments that require players proactivity managed by me

Post#2 » 23 Sep 2017, 11:12

I can understand your thoughts. IMO you should delay this kind of all-maps-tournaments until they are officially supported. Would be far less effort for you to organize and for the players.

Thank you for taking your time and managing tournaments in the past.
My algorithm of life: if(self.tired) sleep(); else if(self.hungry) eat(); else follow(Jesus);

mcompany
Autonomous Entity
Autonomous Entity

Post#3 » 23 Sep 2017, 19:49

Hmm... +1, definitely, although according to gfx, static maps will end up being completely removed

By the way gfx, if maps will be generated by IDs (and I could grind IDs for certain maps), can we set up private matches and freeplay matches (once there is a freeplay lobby) by ID?

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#4 » 23 Sep 2017, 21:46

That's the idea.

Kanishka
Skynet
Skynet

Post#5 » 24 Sep 2017, 04:58

Like Minecraft world seeds.
Fixes break an AI more than bugs do. :ugeek:

Gladiabots Off-Topic Chat

My Stats: Kanishka_RN3;Kanishka_MiPad

GFX47
Dev
Dev

Post#6 » 24 Sep 2017, 15:05

Thanks for your dedication pier4r, it's great to have people like you in this community.
I totally understand your frustration and that's why I want those tournaments to be fully automated, so you can focus on commenting them instead of chasing AFKs and replay IDs.
I may wait for the important incoming changes to be implemented before improving automation though.

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#7 » 24 Sep 2017, 15:53

no problem and thanks for the appreciation (I do what I can for this awesome game). I am used that back in the days there was no awesome automation but the community was more behind a tournament (they lasted months).

Here some people participate really well, others are less interested. I think I have the hands full (I'd like to play, improve my score, do unavoidable tournaments, helping lubeno on the wiki, etc.) and the tournaments takes more energy than expected.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Gladiabots/wiki/players/pier4r_nvidia_shield_k1 -> Gladiabots CHAT, stats, insights and more ;

pier4r
Skynet
Skynet

Post#8 » 24 Sep 2017, 22:30

another problem is that if there is a tournament and person jumps on the release candidate, it may be that two persons cannot play anymore because on different versions. And that makes matches meaningless as well as the entire tournament.

So at the end better not to do them at all or do them in a single day (but those are very small).

Return to “Off topic”